...You Will Never Go Without...

Recently a friend gave me a CD to play in my car...she gave it to me right around the time Sam died but just recently I began to play one song on it that touched me in a way that I wasn't expecting.  One song in particular talked about Yahweh.  I've heard God called Yahweh before, but after listening to the song several times, I really wanted to know more about why this word Yahweh is being used.

Yahweh is actually Hebrew for LORD...meaning "I am."  Sam and I have always told our kids that God is constant,  He never had a beginning and He will never end.  He is the ultimate standard of goodness and fairness in our lives and He is the standard of everything that is beautiful and right.

This weekend my daughter and I met in Vancouver and spent time together.  We went to a craft show, ate dinner, shopped....but more importantly, we walked with arms linked....together.  We ate breakfast this morning and talked about her dad, my Sam, how he and I met in Illinois and how I actually knew he was the one.  As we sat and talked, we cried tears and both of us knew life has forever changed.  Sam is gone, but if we believe God is in control, we believe in goodness and fairness.  It is confusing and heartbreaking that Sam had cancer and died, but we trust Yahweh, our God, to be in control.  We aren't promised easy days, sunshine and flowers in life.  Every life is sprinkled with tears and heartache.  But God promises to work it all together for good.

The memories we share about Sam are his gentleness, his curiosity, his constant drive to learn more, become a better doctor, his generosity, how he continually thought of others first and himself last.  He was a stellar husband, sometimes difficult, as husbands can be, but our marriage was actually quite traditional and wonderful.  I loved letting his dreams of a chiropractic clinic take priority over mine and that I could be a part of his dreams, which were our dreams,  in such a huge way.  I felt joy that he could accomplish what he set out to, and I felt my role was supporting him -- we had specific roles, but we both loved carrying out those roles to build a successful family.  The successes that we felt in our marriage I have tried to convey to my own children:  marriages work when we don't compete with one another.  We can have it all, but maybe not all at once.  Sometimes careers are put on hold to raise children, a vital part of a family.  Serving one another, whether it be coffee, food, or doing more than you feel are your share of household chores, is a privilege, not a chore.   Marriage is not a 50/50 -- it is a full giving over of yourself to your partner and what you give returns to you many times over.  Sam taught me about compromise, patience, hard work, but most of all.....Love. 

My favourite line in the song below is:  You Will Never Go Without.  God promises that if we call on Him, He is there.  Will we be hungry, cold, lacking comfort, alone...No, We will Never Go Without.  God promises to provide all our needs..... He promises!  Please continue to pray for our family as we are navigating the deep waters of grief, but we are trusting in Yahweh totally.


Another song I listened to in my car these past couple of weeks was Love, sung by Chris Tomlin:

When our hope is hard to find
And our faith is in decline
We need a cause to stand behind, love
There is love
There is forgiveness
There is love in times of need
When life is cold there is a promise
You will never go without
There is love
 
It heals the sick
Comforts the weak
Breaks the proud
Raises the meek
In this life no guarantees
Love is the answer
Love will find a way
When we love one another
It's a brighter day
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning Our Fight With Faith, Courage and Love

This Fragile Grief Journey Continues

A Year Since the Crash...