Looking Up as We Walk On...

Welcome Friday!  If Friday Had a Face, I would Kiss it.   Now, that is one of my favorite sayings.

Most of us have words we live by:  Be the Type of Person You Want to Meet; When You Can't Change the Direction of the Wind, Adjust your Sails... you know the uplifting, positive crap spewed out over the internet.   People who say them mean well, and the words make perfect sense, but they are just words.  Real life words are:  Don't Tip the Milk Cup or It Will Spill; Don't take the helium mermaid balloon outside and let go, because it will fly upward (which is what my perfect grandson did today).  Now those are real words of wisdom.  Spillage/clean up and the loss of a balloon are real life disappointments.  Life does not consist of positive, life-coach rhetoric words.  Some days are filled with tears, disbelief, troubles and raw pain, and it's okay to admit you are overwhelmed, sleep-deprived, frustrated and downright in need of a break. It's okay....it is okay to admit you are in pain.

Two of my favourite words to live by these days are: LOOK UP.  Tonight I drove out to pick up dinner and just as I turned onto the main road, I looked up and saw Mt. Elphinstone.  Beautiful...now that was worth looking up for.  The sky was blue, the clouds were puffy and for a instant, life was as it used to be, free and uncomplicated.  Walking around looking down is a sure way to knock into something and to be hurt.  Looking straight up is also dangerous.  The delicate balance is when we look at just the right angle and let that image soak into our heart.  Each day I am striving to hit that delicate balance.  It isn't easy to find.  It doesn't come naturally.  Some days I fail, but I continue to fight.

Each day I have an opportunity to wake up and look up.  Our situation and Sam's condition change day to day and even on days when I adjust my sails to meet our changing needs, although I don't feel  like looking up.....I need to look up.  In looking up, I see a view no one else sees.  I see our family all standing together, our kids, our grandchildren united with us in this cancer fight.  Families weren't just created as an afterthought.  God intended a very real and unique purpose for two parents to raise children.  My gratitude extends to Sam's mom and dad who loved and supported all of their children -- the sacrifice they made to send Sam to Chiropractic school was enormous and I am eternally grateful.  Our siblings who offer so much support at this time.  I am grateful!  My parents supported me through so many difficult years and my thanks to all of our parents and our sisters is paid forward through raising our own children with love and values and to encourage them to continue to look up as they walk through life.

Our beautiful grandchildren have always been the main focus of our lives.  Emily, Kate, Molly, Benton and Adelaide...they are cherished members of our family.  I pray they will be blessed with positive outlooks on life, the gift of love and servanthood and that they will always look for ways of giving back to others as they walk through life....that is the true meaning of looking up.

Please pray for our family this week as we move forward in enjoying every day together.  We ask for patience to follow the plan for our family, strength to fight and wisdom to choose well on so many decisions coming at us.  Sending out much love tonight from our family to yours.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Fragile Grief Journey Continues

A Year Since the Crash...

Beginning Our Fight With Faith, Courage and Love