Timing is Everything

I love hearing about and reading the life stories of people. Each one of us has a unique life story of our experiences growing up and why we became who we are today. Recently I read a bit about the actor, Steve McQueen. I'm sure my kids would say Steve WHO? But he was someone who was a real movie star to my generation and a true Hollywood icon.

Steve McQueen was, in every way, an ordinary man.  He did not grow up with a stable family, wealth or education. His mom struggled with alcohol, he had various stepfathers in and out of his life, he was sent away to  a boys school and eventually he was arrested.  McQueen found fame, fortune, drugs and women, but grew tired of it all.  A turning point for McQueen was the day he was supposed to have gone with his hairstylist Jay Sebring to a party at actress Sharon Tate’s home. For some reason McQueen missed that party. It was the day when Tate, eight months pregnant at the time, was murdered by followers of Charles Manson, along with Sebring and three others.  McQueen was eventually diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer linked to asbestos exposure. As he learned his days were numbered, McQueen requested a meeting with the Rev. Billy Graham. During their meeting, Graham gave McQueen his personal Bible and prayed with him. McQueen died four days after that meeting, at age 50, with Graham’s Bible resting on his chest as he lay on his hospital bed.  McQueens son, Chad, recalled finding him with that Bible and believed his dad gave his heart to God  at a small church in Ventura, California before he died at age 50. 

There are countless times I have cried over the delay in our diagnosis last year, even though the oncologist assured us the outcome wouldn't have been different, yet that delay allowed us to take a trip to Ireland we had been planning for many months. The delay brought us closer to resolving a few business matters before the businesses were sold and closed.  If our diagnosis were made earlier, perhaps I wouldn't have been able to help our daughter through her cancer battle. So many what if's but I believe and trust that God's timing has purpose and there is meaning and order to it all.  

The greatest lesson about timing is no matter what we've done, however many bad decisions we've made or no matter if we receive grim news or a devastating health report, God has a purpose for his timing and we can always know He is faithful.  We can be encouraged to trust Him with all that we have, even our life, knowing His time of healing is always just right.

I am grateful for memories of raising our kids, taking a trip to Stewart, BC several years ago to meet Sam's amazing family and to step into Alaska for the first time, for blessings above and beyond what I deserve.  I am grateful God has sustained us during this illness with a friend and a boss who gives me complete latitude in taking time off, and for everything to fall into place to transition our clinic. I truly am grateful. There is so much I can't control and watching things fall into place in so  many areas is humbling. 

On Wednesday we go to Vancouver for chemo. I am worried and stressed to drive in traffic and to navigate the busy ferries.  I pray for strength, rest, and blue skies in our lives. ❤️



“Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!”
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Fragile Grief Journey Continues

Beginning Our Fight With Faith, Courage and Love

A Year Since the Crash...